Key Stage 3
The aim is to develop the student’s understanding and responses to different texts, as well as the development of
research skills for the purpose of study. Students are taught to:
- Express an opinion about a range of texts.
- Demonstrate an ability to refer to the text to support their views.
- Make inferences, draw conclusions and predict from information
- Recognise whether subject matter is fact or opinion.
- Discuss story line, characters and plot.
- Be aware of different authors’ writing styles.
- Develop research skills.
Emphasis is placed on the ability to write for different purposes and audiences. Students are taught
- Use a variety of writing styles in different contexts.
- Plan, revise and redraft writing.
- Use a wide variety of language devices.
- Develop higher level vocabulary.
- Demonstrate how to use PE (Point & Evidence).